+42 The proper way of leaving the toilet is lid closed, amirite?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Right? Because why else would it have a cover lid? So you can sit on it without going, sure, but how often does that really happen? The primary purpose is to close the cover before flushing. It also protects things falling in the toilet…as I learned the hard way once when an entire makeup bag fell in

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I once wiped my ass and threw my phone in

by Joconner 2 weeks ago

Although not as bad thankfully, I had socks in one hand to throw in the washer, and tissue in the other I used to blow my nose. Passed by the trash can and threw my socks in accidentally

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Did you wipe with your phone?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

That's why I use a bidet

by Low-Picture 2 weeks ago

Do you wipe standing up?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Back then I did. Not anymore though, that's a young man's game

by Joconner 2 weeks ago

You should be closing the lid BEFORE you flush.

by Initial-Ebb 2 weeks ago

Yup. I feel like everyone saw that one Mythbusters episode where they show how much bacteria sprays from your toilet with the lid closed vs. open when you flush. I'm no germophobe, but that has stuck with me ever since. Take 2 seconds to put the seat down and prevent poo-water from going everywhere.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I've been doing this ever since I read the toilet water can spray everywhere. That was in second grade. It's weird to me that people don't close the lid.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Unless you have a really old or broken toilet mythbusters proved that water droplets don't spray everywhere when you flush..

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I dont care that this has been debunked. The fear of a dookie toothbrush has been rooted into my brain. Lid goes down

by andy80 2 weeks ago

Keeps my cat from swimming. She is a bit odd

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Toilets splash droplets when you flush. The cover keeps the droplets off of your legs and the floor. Win win. That's why they have a cover, it's not a back rest.

by andrew84 2 weeks ago

I'm really struggling to imagine the kind of person who sits on the toilet with their back resting on anything. :/

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

47m here. I close the lid before flusing. Also my toothbrush lives in a case, inside my medicine cabinet. Always blows my mind seeing naked toothbrushes in cups on counters. Just sitting there in filth soaking up dookie particles. Hard pass.

by Life_Conference_8220 2 weeks ago

Every time you smell a fart, millions of poo particle go in through your nose and mouth, into your lungs, where they are metabolized or expelled...so...therer you go. But, I'm with you in encouraged reducing the amount of poo in people's day to day

by Initial-Ebb 2 weeks ago

I know and I agree. Doesnt mean I cant do my best to minimize it. Especially on my toothbrush. Which you seem to at least partially agree on so cheers.

Because poo particles ain't that bad..people act like they're the worst thing in the world

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

To each their own. What Im doing certainly isnt hurting you.

Not to mention particles of what you just dropped there go everywhere when you flush

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I wish men just sat down to pee. One thing I love my boyfriend for

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

If I have a son, he'll definitely learn to pee that way at home. I hated cleaning pee of the floor and toilet, and the seat, growing up

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Honestly it's baffling to me that we're still having to discuss why toilets have lids.

by Gislasonezekiel 2 weeks ago

I have always put the seat and lid down since as far as I can remember. Mainly to keep from splashback when you flush, but also, if you are the kind of person who just sits your ass onto any surface without looking at it first, you're asking to have problems. Being sleepy from just waking up or whatever isn't a good excuse. Look before you sit. Always.

by That-Entrepreneur 2 weeks ago

Yeah these people are germaphobes

by Affectionate_Log 1 week ago

If i see a toilet with a closed lid, i never want to open it and find out why

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mentioned I peak an eye

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Tbh I close to flush and open when it's done. If I lived alone, it'd stay down all the time.

by Agile_Flounder 1 week ago

The seat and lid should form a seal when down.

by MaintenanceLivid6276 1 week ago

I live alone and close the toilet lid after using it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Absolutely put the lid down. When you flush, particles are aerated. You're knocking all those germs into the air, that's unsanitary. I don't even get the keeping the seat up; I was taught that you always put the seat down when at home or at someone's house. In my family, it's seen as extremely disrespectful to stand and pee (although no one will see you). However, I usually just put the toilet back in the configuration I found it

by ExtensionAppeal74 1 week ago

This is the most common opinion. My opinion is the actual unpopular opinion, but it is also the best way. All toilet seats should be left in whatever condition you used it. Assuming the most desired process is the one that minimized touching, then the condition you last used it is most likely the condition you will next use it, therefore, you minimize touching, thus increasing hygiene, by just doing nothing.

by Strict_Parsnip 1 week ago

Then why do I see so many lid open?! Not a vent, but totally one.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My argument for closing the lid every time is equally in suffering. No one gets convenience, no one gets simplicity, we are all equally miserable

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I always close it and think it should stay closed myself this way you don't have to worry about things falling in the toilet.

by VictoryMain 1 week ago

Man I really wish this was a popular opinion. My in laws don't close the lid before flushing and to add insult to injury they open the bathroom door before washing their hands….

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Thank you!!!!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If the seat is up nobody can piss on the seat If the lid is closed the dog can't drink out of the toilet If the seat is down, people can piss on the seat and the dog can drink it. Since women are always right this is the best way.

by Able_School 1 week ago

LID CLOSED IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE MANNER. My roommates don't close the lid and it frustrates the hell out of me

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No one in my family closes the lid except me and it pisses me off sooo bad. Sometimes they don't even flush!!!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

After raising a kitten that jumped not once but twice into the toilet because she would jump without looking, I couldn't agree more with OP.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nah

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Since I have to raise the seat when I pee, I always close the seat and the lid out of spite, so no matter whoever is next has to touch the toilet as well.

by Forward_Offer 1 week ago

That just traps the stink in there, a nice present for the next to sit down.

by Caesar53 1 week ago

When you flush the toilet it does throw up a very light aerosol of toilet water into the room. This is well known. Which means that anything that is out in the open like toothbrushes, washcloths,.towels etc will get sprayed

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you don't close the lid, your bathroom straight up smells like dookie. And your toothbrushes have doo doo particles on them

by Elsawitting 1 week ago

You lay your back on the toilet lid?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think as a kid maybe I did? Or maybe it's just what I pictured when the reason for closing the lid was described to me.

by Overall_Fold_2019 1 week ago

But then men have to touch the seat after dirty vag and arse have been all over it BEFORE the toilet water splashed onto the seat from flushing. No thanks.

by dibbertviolet 1 week ago

theres a study which shows that theres almost no difference between open lid and closed lid

by juliet19 1 week ago

Well usually it's expected to wash your hands after you use the toilet anyways. Not doing so is more gross

by Ok_Cranberry_127 1 week ago

I never get spill on my toilet, so it's just a waste of time for me I'd also like to avoid touching a public toilet as much as possible

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is true, but keep in mind the logic is not intuitive. For about three decades my logic was based on who's going to use it next and the convenience of closing it versus opening it. If you work with a lot of women, yeah, put it down. Wasn't until later that I realized all the other reasons for closing the lid.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I do believe that anywhere that germs or mildew can potentially thrive are better exposed to the open air with good ventilation. Leaving the toilet closed is really against this idea.

by Anonymous 1 week ago